* Delete Norton: They have an uninstall
utility if normal uninstall fails. It can cause serious issues if improperty uninstalled or installed due to its need to have rabid control over EVERYTHING.
* Disable Windows FireWall And Defender: Sygate as a firewall and adaware+syboy do the same thing, only better.
* Install ClamWin
: Two Free AntiViruses that are very ligh tweight
* For those who just worry about certain files from p2p networks Jotti
and Virus Total
provide the ability to scan with several different virus scanners with one upload.
* Install Sygate Personal Firewall: Very small firewall that does the job, it's completely free.
* Install Adaware
Free anti spyware programs with a great reputation.
* Install SiteAdvison
: Extension for firefox. It alerts you of the good sites and the bad sites. Don't ever click on google sponsored ads when looking to download software.
* Scan with Windows OneCare
: Good spyware / vulnerabilty scan by microsoft.
* Checkout this list
of online free virus scanners.